SWCS parents Monica and Raina are offering a free essential oils class on Monday, February 22nd from 3:15-4:30!
It will be held in the K classroom and kiddos can go to extended care or hang out it in the room with us. It’s totally free and we learn about how to use oils to support our family’s health, well-being and mood. They’ll bring a bunch of oils so you can sample them and if you are interested in using the oils on a regular basis, we talk about getting discounted rates. Please RSVP on this post if you’d like to come!
In the K class, we diffuse OnGuard, which supports immune function and Lavender which creates a calming environment, everyday. Melissa Haddad Allen adds oils to the play dough she makes for the Kinders as an excellent sensory tool as well as providing great benefits to the kid’s health.
Nicole Rosen and I are donating a “Make and Take” essential oil party to the auction during which we will make a couple essential oil infused self-care products that you can take home. This class is great prep for that event if you want to participate in both!
Please feel free to share this post with other SWCS families/groups that you know!
We wanted to send a big thank you to Next Adventure for funding all Portland Streetcar rides for SW Charter students!
Next Adventure does a lot for SW Charter such as providing supplies for student emergency/earthquake kits and being an auction donor and sponsor.
But not many of us know that by funding streetcar rides, Next Adventure ensures our kids are exploring Portland and facilitating our place-based curriculum!
Thank you Next Adventure!
Join us this Friday morning (February 5th) after drop off for coffee, treats and chat.
Nominations for the 2016 Laura Bracke Volunteer Award are being sought!
Each year we honor one Southwest Charter School volunteer who has continually given his or her time and energy to our community!
This tradition was started to honor former SW Charter parent, Laura Bracke, because of all that she gave to our school and community during her years at Southwest Charter School.
Now is the time to nominate a volunteer that you feel should receive The Laura Brake Volunteer award for 2016. Once our nominees are collected, everyone will have a chance to vote for their choice in a separate survey.
Send in your nominee for that special volunteer that goes out of their way to make Southwest Charter better! And, a HUGE thank you to all of our volunteers, for all of the ways you help to make our community function and thrive!
Send your nominee choice by Tuesday February 9th to : email@example.com
The recipient of the Laura Bracke Volunteer Award will be announced at this year’s Vintage Hollywood Ball Auction and Dinner at The Multnomah Athletic Club on Saturday, February 20th.
The sign up party frenzy is in full swing! We have some super fun slot parties for you to add your name to on auction night! But we’re still looking for more.
What kind of party can you dream up and host? Have a skill, interest, or place you want to share with the community? Want to host a themed party? The options are endless. If you have an idea for a sign up, please submit your form by this Friday, February 5th.
Without giving too much of the craziness away, here are just a few of the sign up parties being offered at this year’s auction:
- “Get Sauced” – Jessica Nichols, Melissa Allen and Juli Kirby will each make their Italian grandmother’s red sauce recipes and serve them up at a summertime dinner party.
- Mom’s Essential Oils Make and Take Party with Monica Welty and Nicole Rosen
- U-Pick Farm Tour & On Site Cooking Workshop
- NoPo Cocktail Party
- Annual SW Charter Family Hike with teachers Amanda & Raina
- Glass Art Class with teachers Nesa and Megan
- Karaoke Party with teachers Lisa and Karinsa
- Plus many more….
Thursday, January 28th we begin collecting for our 2016 Wall of Wine for this year’s auction. Every year, we have a goal of collecting 75 bottles from the community.
Please help! Here are the easy steps for donating wine to the auction:
- Buy or Collect (from family wine cellar or friendly neighborhood bottle shop) a bottle of wine that is valued at $15 or more. Wines worth $20 or more will draw particularly large amounts of gratitude and karma.
- Put your NAME and VALUE OF WINE on a sticker or post-it, and…
- AFFIX this information FIRMLY to your bottle! We want to make sure every donor gets into the drawing for the exterior or interior car detail at Freeman Motors (worth $150)!
Your participation in the annual wall of wine collection really helps make the auction fun, as well as more successful, and thus really helps our school :)
P.S. If you aren’t planning to attend the auction, please remember two things:
- it is FREE to attend the silent auction portion of the event and to bid (quietly on paper) on what is a truly impressive collection of goods this year!
- the food, entertainment, and feeling of community at the auction are GREAT; the auction really is a lot of fun, as well as our most important fundraiser.
Please consider coming this year!
We’re still actively seeking auction donations!
Every SW Charter family is asked to procure one donated item or host a sign up party for the auction on Saturday, February 20th. Our donation bin is EMPTY and we desperately need your help!
● Turn in your family’s donation form by the deadline of January 29th and be entered into a DRAWING to win an interior or exterior car detail (worth $150) courtesy of Freeman Motor!
Whether it’s a $10 gift certificate from your favorite take-out restaurant, a week at your parent’s timeshare, or hosting a sign up party, every donation benefits our kids and our auction is only as successful as the donations we receive.
Copies of the donation request letter and donation form are placed throughout the SWCS hallways for you. All donations should be placed in the donation bin (with a completed donation form attached) next to Kathy’s desk.
● Click https://swcs.schoolauction.net/2016auction/give & make an online cash donation in lieu of an item and instantly fulfill your family’s donation requirement.
● Auction night tickets are on sale! Click http://swcs.schoolauction.net/2016auction/homepages/show to buy yours before they’re gone. There’s a limited number of 10 person tables available. They go quickly!