The end of August means it’s nearly time to head back to school. It also means that we have tons of painting, cleaning and re-organizing to do before the first day of school on Tuesday, September 6th. Please join us on Saturday, August 27th from 9:00am – 4:00pm to help us shine.
Snacks and beverages will be provided for volunteers but we will need a headcount of attendees. Please R.S.V.P. by going to this Signup Genius link: BackToSchoolShineUP
(Please be sure to list everyone that is coming so we have enough goodies for all!)
Please note there there is no on-site parking in the SW Charter parking lot!
Friends of SW Charter (our parent/teacher organization) works to build community and support families, aids and supports staff, engages in community service, fund raises to create field work scholarships for those in need, and supplies funds for teacher grants.
Friends has many committees and jobs and we need volunteers to help us succeed in our mission. Many jobs can be completed from home in your free time and range from a few hour commitment to a year long adventure that will be infinitely rewarding.
We invite everyone, especially our new Kindergarten parents, to please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080e49a9ad29a46-friends for as many tasks that interest you. If you signed up last year and do NOT plan to continue in this role, PLEASE remove your name from that slot.
Thanks for supporting SW Charter School and helping to make your child’s experience great. Questions? Contact Elise Christman at firstname.lastname@example.org
We need volunteers to participate in creating our new SW Charter nature play space areas on the following work days:
Saturday, August 6th 9:00am-4:00pm
Sunday August 7th 2:30pm-5:30pm
Snacks and beverages will be provided for volunteers but we will need a headcount of attendees. Please R.S.V.P. by going to this Signup Genius link: Playscape Volunteer.
Please be sure to list everyone that is coming so we have enough goodies for all.
If you have any questions or if have any special skills you can donate to the project please email Fara Heath at: email@example.com
A message from Melissa Allen…
Hope summer is treating everyone well. This coming school year will be the 4th year that Christine Bravo and I have headed the Staff Appreciation Committee at school and while we have greatly enjoyed it, we are ready to pass the torch. We are looking for someone to shadow us this year and fully take it on the next year.
This is a very rewarding volunteer position at school as you get to spoil our amazing teachers and staff all year long! Ideally, this would be two people, Christine and I really found that working as a team made this job very manageable and fun!
The main responsibilities of this role are purchasing and handing out birthday gift cards to staff, planning conference meals, staff holiday party and appreciation week. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Thanks!
Is anyone in the SW Charter community able to store the face paint table we use for Field Day? The Smiths are no longer able to store it at their house. Brian would be able to deliver it! Thanks so much for your help!
Please contact Board Member Brian Smith at email@example.com.
Our amazing music teacher Aaron Nigel Smith/One World Chorus is looking for volunteers to help out with this great fundraising event at King School Park (4906 NE 6th) on Saturday, July 30th.
Rox in Sox is an exciting festival that celebrates children’s music and literature. During this free charity event Rox in Sox’s collects socks, shoes, and books for kids who need them in the USA, Kenya & Jamaica.
Since 2013 Rox in Sox has donated 3205 pairs of socks, 1519 books and 204 pairs of shoes to kids around the world.
This unique interactive family festival features performances by some of the country’s leading children’s musicians and authors. There are plenty of fun activities for kids and families to enjoy together, great food and a chance to exciting prizes!
Last year Friends of SW Charter and Melissa Allen helped to find parent volunteers to lend a hand. This year they have some GREAT bands and our SW Charter community has been posting about it on Facebook without knowing our connection.
If you’re interested, contact Aaron at the phone number or email address included above.
Friends of SW Charter School
June 21, 2016
- Hanne: Moving forward, last meeting low turnout ~ 5 in attendance
- Expressed need more parent involvement. Concern that there is not enough parent support.
- Outreach possibilities:
- Facebook – series of posts with bright pictures
- Sign-Up Genius
- Build weekend scheduled for August 6th & 7th – Focus on 1st phase which includes the outdoor classroom, garden planters, removal of chicken coop, development of garden area
- Coordinating child care during weekend to possibly include:
- Need food and water for the day
- Committee is working on determining projects that can be done at other times as well:
- fence toppers
- mural outside
- tool Library for the playground
- A list of jobs for the playground project is under development
- The chicken coop is not part of the new playground design – discussion of return to owner.
- Next Playground meeting is 6/28
New Grant/FoSWCS Fundraising
- Update from SWCS Board Meeting
- Grant is to help educate about place based education, will also help fund Field Work Coordinator Position
- Has there been a search for an auction coordinator?
- Discussion of Benevon fundraising model currently under adoption by SWCS School Board
- What kind of fundraising events should Friends do?
- Discussion of more focused fundraising events by Friends that are complementary to the work of supporting the community
- Consideration of sustainable advancement fundraising vs. parent fundraising
- Friends budget: scholarships, want transportation for field trips – how much would it cost to rent or purchase a bus for transportation? Brainstorming on possible focus directions for FoSWCS. Will continue discussions as more is learned about Benevon model
Need Committee Documentation
- Reminder to Friends members to document jobs
- Friends should make a list of available jobs
- Post once per month in summer? Highlight different jobs?
- Room Parent Coordinator
- Emilie is going to take this on for next year
- Block Party Coordinators
- Nicole and Emilie are going to plan this for the fall
- Harvest Dance? Ice Cream Social? Hot Dog/Burger Truck?
- Food Trucks/Lee Farms/Ruby Jewel
- 8th Graders Host the Event? work through Amanda
- Adrienne can sew banners
- For the whole family
- Brainstorming to continue…
Field Day Wrap Up
- Overall, everyone pleased
- Next year: Kickball game earlier, tug of war really fun, younger grade teachers felt the day was a bit long
- Need more garbage cans – lots of garbage pick up
Budget Review – Pending
- Once final numbers are received a final budget will be done.
- Proposal: determine Friends focus of activities for next year and develop budget based on this focus (scholarships/transportation)
After School Classes
- General survey from Nicole re. language classes should be going out soon
- Adrienne has fillable document with other after school class ideas and teacher ideas – will send out to FoSWCS
- Proposal: Language classes start in fall, start 6 week enrichment classes in February
- Language classes 3 sessions – October to winter break, Winter break to spring break, spring break to end of year
Google Docs version of June 2016 Minutes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DbXTFz7e1FZmVOUndBZzlGOFE/view?usp=sharing