This year the 8th grade students and Teacher Amanda are organizing an Earth Day event with SOLV. It will be in conjunction with the statewide SOLVE IT! Earth Day event this Saturday, April 26th from 10 am -1 pm at Cottonwood Bay.
We are inviting all students and their families, along with other people from the community to join us in helping clean up Cottonwood Bay.
We are planning on cleaning up by picking up trash and perhaps removing some invasive species from around Cottonwood Bay. We chose Cottonwood Bay as the place to clean because of the connection students here at SWCS have with the bay. We are lucky enough to be able to go there for art, fieldwork, to play and to use as a natural resource for our school.
We think that this is a great way to give back for all we get from Cottonwood Bay! Show up anytime from 10-1 to helpout and bring your family and friends, gloves, clippers and water bottles. We will provide garbage bags.
Also if you would like to help beyond clean up, we could use adult volunteers to help make this event happen. A few areas we could use you in if you are interested include:
- Greeting people 10:00 – 1:00
- Putting up posters with information about the event – this week!
- Picking up supplies at SOLV on Thursday or Friday of this week
- Set-up at 9:00 am – meet at school
- Take-down at 1:00Also, last year we had a dad that brought down equipment to cut rebar that is cemented into concrete. With his help we removed over 1,000 pounds of metal from the bay. He will be away on business this year and we are looking for similar help. Please contact Amanda if you can help!
- Last, we need 2 pick up trucks at the end of the day to haul the garbage away.
If you are interested in helping in any of these areas it would be greatly appreciated! Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B44AFA72AA75-earth or contact Amanda at email@example.com
The Eighth Grade Class and Amanda
Cottonwood Bay is located along the Willamette Greenway Trail (west side of the river). It is at the end of Hamilton Court (located on the east side of Macadam Blvd. A few miles south of South Waterfront.
Pingback: Cottonwood Bay Clean Up – Saturday April 26th 10-1 | Communities of Practice