Friends of SW Charter School
June 21, 2016
- Hanne: Moving forward, last meeting low turnout ~ 5 in attendance
- Expressed need more parent involvement. Concern that there is not enough parent support.
- Outreach possibilities:
- Facebook – series of posts with bright pictures
- Sign-Up Genius
- Build weekend scheduled for August 6th & 7th – Focus on 1st phase which includes the outdoor classroom, garden planters, removal of chicken coop, development of garden area
- Coordinating child care during weekend to possibly include:
- arts & crafts
- Need food and water for the day
- Committee is working on determining projects that can be done at other times as well:
- fence toppers
- mural outside
- tool Library for the playground
- A list of jobs for the playground project is under development
- The chicken coop is not part of the new playground design – discussion of return to owner.
- Next Playground meeting is 6/28
New Grant/FoSWCS Fundraising
- Update from SWCS Board Meeting
- Grant is to help educate about place based education, will also help fund Field Work Coordinator Position
- Has there been a search for an auction coordinator?
- Discussion of Benevon fundraising model currently under adoption by SWCS School Board
- What kind of fundraising events should Friends do?
- Discussion of more focused fundraising events by Friends that are complementary to the work of supporting the community
- Consideration of sustainable advancement fundraising vs. parent fundraising
- Friends budget: scholarships, want transportation for field trips – how much would it cost to rent or purchase a bus for transportation? Brainstorming on possible focus directions for FoSWCS. Will continue discussions as more is learned about Benevon model
Need Committee Documentation
- Reminder to Friends members to document jobs
- Friends should make a list of available jobs
- Post once per month in summer? Highlight different jobs?
- Room Parent Coordinator
- Emilie is going to take this on for next year
- Block Party Coordinators
- Nicole and Emilie are going to plan this for the fall
- Harvest Dance? Ice Cream Social? Hot Dog/Burger Truck?
- Food Trucks/Lee Farms/Ruby Jewel
- 8th Graders Host the Event? work through Amanda
- Adrienne can sew banners
- For the whole family
- Brainstorming to continue…
Field Day Wrap Up
- Overall, everyone pleased
- Next year: Kickball game earlier, tug of war really fun, younger grade teachers felt the day was a bit long
- Need more garbage cans – lots of garbage pick up
Budget Review – Pending
- Once final numbers are received a final budget will be done.
- Proposal: determine Friends focus of activities for next year and develop budget based on this focus (scholarships/transportation)
After School Classes
- General survey from Nicole re. language classes should be going out soon
- Adrienne has fillable document with other after school class ideas and teacher ideas – will send out to FoSWCS
- Proposal: Language classes start in fall, start 6 week enrichment classes in February
- Language classes 3 sessions – October to winter break, Winter break to spring break, spring break to end of year
Google Docs version of June 2016 Minutes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DbXTFz7e1FZmVOUndBZzlGOFE/view?usp=sharing