Friends Meeting Minutes ~ March 2017

FOSWCS Monthly Meeting

March 14, 2017

Minutes

Annual Fundraiser (Hanne)

Ticket sales have been slow. The office is sending out an email every day this week to encourage people to purchase tickets. We discussed other ways to get the word out. Hanne will create a flyer tonight that can go home in backpacks. Also, Hanne will ask others to help distribute flyers in person at drop off and pick up.

Ticket sales end at midnight on Friday, March 17. Hanne is open to extending the deadline to Saturday, but would rather not allow tickets to be purchased at the door. We want to give Verde Cocina the courtesy of knowing in advance how many people are attending.

Tomorrow, Nicole will ask Room Parents to send something out to their classes about the fundraiser to encourage ticket sales.

During the week, Emilie and Nicole will help hand out flyers at drop off and pick up. Hanne will also appeal to Sarah Mutal, Melissa, and others to help spread the word. Emilie will get in touch with Brandi about spreading the word at aftercare. We also need to get Board members and teachers to attend.

Dance Update and Food and Snack Ideas (Emilie)

Spring Dance is scheduled for Friday, April 28th. While Emilie continues to research food trucks, but all contacted thus far have been too expensive. We are considering purchasing our own snacks and having a tip jar for donations.

Elise volunteered to research the availability and cost of a Papa Murphy’s pizza truck. The only caveat is that we would need volunteers to serve and take money for the pizza.

Prior to the event, Coral would like to get kids to submit songs they’d like to hear at the dance. Coral will then make a playlist for the last ½ hour of the dance. If we get a lot of song suggestions, we can start the playlist earlier.

Liz will get the sound activated lights from Hollywood lights again. Nicole will do twinkle lights and glow sticks.

Executive/FOSWCS Meeting Update (Emilie)

School Administration is still working on the implementation of a weekly newsletter. Amanda hopes to get it up and running after the annual fundraiser or over the summer and have it debut in the fall.

Amanda reported that the kids were very happy with the t-shirts purchased with Friends funds for the two SWCS Battle of the Books teams. Kids read 12 books and then are pitted against other teams to answer detailed questions about the books.

Field Day is still scheduled for the last day of school on Friday, June 9.  Messaging to the community will begin after the annual fundraiser.

Amanda is working on information for JoLea regarding scholarship amounts.

Tie Dye Days will be Thursday, June 1 & Friday, June 2

Board Meeting Update (Emilie)

At the last Board Meeting, there was an informal vote on potential new names for the school, but nothing has been decided. Board is deliberating.

Amanda provided an academic update and discussed changes and needs due to Jonathan’s departure.

Presentation to ODE in Salem went very well.

Board has been working on its committees – governance, marketing, fundraising, IT, facilities, etc. The Board is seeking volunteers from the community to serve on these committees.

For the first time, childcare was provided at the Board Meeting and it appeared to increase attendance. Board will try to do this again 2-3 times per year. They may also experiment with changing their meeting time from 7:30 pm to something earlier.

Spring Art Exhibit (Melissa)

On Friday, April 21, Sean Z. Becker Real Estate located at 3623 SW River Parkway in the S. Waterfront will host our Spring Student Art Exhibit. They are supplying food and drink. Melissa needs two helpers. One to print name cards for art pieces and another for helping to attach art to foam board. Liz volunteered to print name cards. Liz will send out a request for help with foam board on the Friends blog. If Melissa doesn’t find someone to help with this, Elise will help.

Andersen Construction Thank You (JoLea)

JoLea received the outdoor Andersen Construction thank you plaque for their help with the playground as well as a plaque for Andersen’s office to be presented to Jeff at the fundraiser on Sunday.

Recognition for Jonathan (Melissa)

We would like to recognize Jonathan before he leaves for Amsterdam. As he is moving overseas, we don’t want to give him anything that would be difficult to transport. We like the idea of a coffee morning and/or something we can send to him after he is settled. One thought is a full school picture at field day that we can send later. More to come from Melissa.

Jonathan has recommended a replacement to direct the school musical. Amanda said the interview went very well.

Family Camping

Camp Wilkerson has been booked for June 2-4! Thank you to Christina and Jim Cartwright! We will begin promoting after the annual fundraiser.

Budget (Elise)

No budget information from office to report.

 

Important Dates

March 19        SWCS Annual Fundraiser 5-8 pm

March 27-31 Spring Break

April 7             Teacher Planning Day – No School for Students

April 11           FOSWCS Meeting 6:30 pm

April 20           Spring Plant Sale Orders Due

April 20           SWCS Board Meeting

April 21           SWCS Spring Art Exhibit

April 25           Friends AM Coffee

April 28           SWCS Spring Dance

May 9             FOSWCS Meeting 6:30 pm

May 11           Plant Sale Delivery Day

Google Docs Version of March 2017 Minutes

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Minutes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s